Tuesday 6 January 2009

MMIX

When I turned 21 my Dad took me to one side and shared with me the terrible secret known only to adults.  He didn't beat around the bush.  "Once you've passed 21," quoth he, "time speeds up." 

Silly old sod, I thought.  But God help me, he was right.  In a small way it only seems a fortnight since last I blogged, but the cold hard facts tell me that was the 20th of November.  Christmas has come and gone.  Hogmanay must have happened.  I'm back at work and it sucks, sucks, sucks.  I've spent the last two days at the place of toil staring into space with (to quote the great Mark Twain) the 'deep, deep, subtle, subtle expression of a bladder' upon my phiz.  Christ.

So, gentle reader, you have been spared my half baked ideas on the mysteries of Christmas and my musings on the latest tottering steps the economy takes towards its doom.  Instead, may I present The Andys, my awards for the men, women, events and beasts of 2008.  

The So, Farewell Then award for the dearly missed.

Tim Krieder, of The Pain - When Will It End?  He's not dead, thank God, but having waged cartoon based war against the Bush administration for $20 a week, he's off to do something else for a bit.  Have a look at the archives on his site and have a good nose around.  You won't be disappointed.  For example, the 30 July 2008 'Lost Secrets of the Ancient Americans' is heartbreaking, enraging and funny all at once.

The artists statements are as good as the cartoons too.

The 'Get it Right Up Yous!" Moment of the Year

While I'm tempted to say Barack being elected or Lehman going bust or something equally seismic, for me its actually England's Brave John Terry missing his penalty in Moscow, and so by his agency  Manchester United winning the European Cup 50 years after Munich.  If Terry hadn't wanted to be the big man and win it for his wretched little club they might actually have done it, but good triumphed, evil was overcome and Bobby Charlton was serene in his heaven.  

I know describing the red evil empire of Manchester United as 'good' could be pushing it, but in football it is a relative concept.

The Couldn't Hit An Elephant From This Distance award for misplaced optimism

All economic commentators up until about September.  

The Sarah Palin award for dragging the very thing that you claim to love through the dirt and if there was any justice Thomas Jefferson and George Washington would rise from their mighty tombs and come crashing through the windows of your house, the dirt of the grave falling from their yellow peeling skin and rictus skull smiles and rip you limb from wretched limb while screaming Tyranny, Tyranny! so that the last thing that passed though your diseased evil twisted little mind (apart from Washington's axe) was the knowledge that not only had you failed but you had betrayed your country and that Hell awaited you Award, goes too...

George W. Bush.  And Sarah Palin.

Happy New Year folks!  

Next time, what's going to happen in 2009?  Is the supervolcano better than the credit crunch? Etc!  

No comments: