Thursday 23 October 2008

Things we lost in the fire

While flogging my guts out for the Man today (and further apologies to Sil, whom I was unable to quiz on what 'relaxed and casual' for Top Gear might look like due to the Man's incessant beating of the drum in the rowing deck of the galley in which I must toil) I fell to wondering.  and I wondered this:

In the forthcoming / already here recession, what's going to vanish that I won't miss? Hell, what will I be glad to see the back of?

Here's the beginnings of a list.  Add to it if you can bothered, and the recession doesn't stop you mucking about when you too should be toiling in the pit.
  • Shops selling what I can only call girly pish.  You know, cards with bows on them for no reason and that kind of thing.  Okay in small does, but its got way out of hand. 
  • 'Style wine'.  I was in a proper pub the other day and the wine list mentioned a Gewurtztraminer, a nice drop right enough, but it was a described as a style wine.  Just.  Fuck.  Off.
  • Organic tapas.  Actually, tapas outside Spain point blank.
  • Bottled lager in pubs that sell pints
  • Pseudo science, especially in adverts for beauty products.  'Vitalised with pro-oxy-tetra-lava-kittens.'  Well, thank fuck for that.
  • 'Gen Y' being feted in the media for being high maintenance and demanding.  No kids, it is all our lot to suffer.  
  • The laissez faire neo-liberal consensus.  And that's from an Economist subscriber.
  • The Labour party being the Tory party
  • Paris Hilton and her ilk.  Okay, I actually expect that as times grow dark we may well seek to distract ourselves with bread and circuses even more, but for  a moment I want to imagine a society of Woody Guthrie songs and the dignity of labour
  • The Republican Party in its current odorous and vile incarnation.  John, John, you used to be a principled bastard.  A rock ribbed conservative bastard, but now?  My God man, how can you sleep at night?
Anyway, you get the idea.  Add away in the comments if anyone reads this!

One other note - if, and its still an if, the powers be cursed, Barack Obama wins the election I intend to have a Thanksgiving party on the nearest weekend to, er, Thanksgiving, so if anyone knows a recipe for Pumpkin Pie, or indeed knows what Pumpkin Pie is, let me know.  Anyone who knows me and wants to come sing out, and I might even do it rather than just talk about it.

No comments: